If your retail food establishment processes certified organic products on its premises, the USDA organic regulations state that you must:
- Prevent commingling with non-organic products and contact with prohibited substances.
- Not use the USDA organic seal or refer to processed products as certified organic. If you would like to use the USDA organic seal, you must obtain organic certification.
OTA’s Participation in the Retailer Sector
OTA encourages and supports the following outcomes of NOP Guidance on Retailer Certification and Compliance:
- Increased education and training opportunities for all retail establishments whether they are certified or non-certified operations.
- Increased awareness and visibility of the regulatory requirements that apply to non-certified retailers.
- Increased incentive for voluntary certification.
- Increased NOP monitoring and oversight of retail establishments.
- Consistent and compliant organic practices and messaging throughout the retail sector.
- Increased consumer understanding and trust of organic claims.