Categories, Selection Criteria, and Nominations Process
Introduction and Purpose
An Organic Leadership Award is the association’s highest honor. The awards are given annually to individuals who have shown leadership and vision in furthering the goals of the organic movement.
In making an award, OTA considers individuals who have:
- Demonstrated skill, innovation, personal commitment, leadership and vision beyond the professional competence and requirements of the position for which s/he was employed.
- Achieved identifiable and lasting changes to promote and protect organic agriculture and trade.
- Inspired and persuaded others to act to advance the cause of organic agriculture and trade.
Nominations will only be accepted in writing and must use the questions on the nomination form to list the major contributions and activities of the nominee relating to the year’s award category and selection criteria (not to exceed 10 typewritten pages). Nominations may not be made anonymously. Letters of endorsement to the nomination are encouraged.
2014 Award Categories and SELECTION CRITERIA
For 2014, OTA is accepting nominations for three Organic Leadership awards.
1. OTA Leadership Award: Growing Organic Industry
Nominees should be individuals who have made significant contributions to growing the organic industry via their work in any one or more of a number of areas such as consumer education and marketing, new market development, public relations, standards development, advocacy, and research.
2. OTA Leadership Award: Organic Farmer of the Year
Nominees should be professional farmers* who have made significant contributions to support and advance organic agriculture and trade at the farm level, such as increasing the amount of land under organic management, expanding the number of farmers using organic practices, or advancing organic agriculture through farm policy advocacy, community education, or innovative land stewardship and technical practices.
*For the purposes of the OTA Leadership Award, a farmer is defined as someone who:
• Owns, leases, or is a partner in an organic farm; 3. OTA Leadership Award: Rising Star
• and has a full-time functional role as an organic farmer;
• and derives their primary income from an organic farm.
Nominees should be emerging leaders who have distinguished themselves professionally for their pursuit, zeal or notable advancements to programs, initiatives, new categories, or product development that promotes the growth, sustainability, or influence of organic agriculture and trade.
2014 Award Nominations and Selection Procedure
- The OTA Board of Directors shall determine the category and criteria for each year’s award.
- Nominations may be made by individuals or organizations, using the nomination submission form provided by OTA.
- Consideration will be given only to nominations that address the criteria and questions on the nomination submission form.
- Nominations or endorsements received after submission deadline shall not be permitted.
- Nominations shall be reviewed by the Board’s Community Relations Committee, which will then recommend the award recipient(s) to the Board for approval.
2014 Award Timeline Summary
- By May 30: All nominations due
- By July 31: OTA notifies the recipients
- August: Selections announced with official press release; media outreach and event promotion
- September 17: Ceremony at the OTA Annual Awards Gala during All Things Organic at Natural Products Expo East